Friday, March 31, 2017

Day 70...Yes

This week we had appointments at Moffitt on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  They have definitely been keeping a close eye on Nick's counts.  They watch the trend to make sure all levels are moving in the right direction and adjusting meds based these numbers as well.  Today proved to be an exciting day as Dr. Perez not only gave Nick another A+ rating, she also "released" him to drive AND to go back to work in his office!  I observed a sense of relief in Nick's demeanor, in fact this news put a new "pep in his step" that I haven't seen up until now.  I'm sure the newfound excitement has nothing to do with the fact that he has experienced just about all he can take, living in what he refers to as "Rene's World".  Basically this "world" consists of an influx of political news and/or news radio accompanied by constant movement in the house or yard which looks more like a game of "beat the clock", and 24/7 doting over the puppies which I'm sure to him looks like some type of behavior brought on by "empty nest syndrome".  Either way, I can assure you that the thought of waking up Monday morning and driving himself to his Little Greek office is an absolute comfort for him.  I believe I've prepared him - after 70 days of sounding more like a Mother than a Wife - to perform serious hand hygiene at every turn, to walk away from anyone coughing or sneezing, and to wipe surfaces even if they look clean.  His immune system won't be normal for a while longer, but we're both fully aware of the consequences and our goal is to stay on the current path.  I will admit that as a caregiver, most days I felt confident that Nick would make it through.  What I wasn't so confident about is whether or not WE would survive.  Not only are you "joined at the hip" - all day, every day for 60+ days, but your marriage turns into something that resembles a business relationship.  It literally becomes your JOB to make sure that the patient has every possible chance at survival.  As a caregiver, most days I found myself ignoring the rolling eyes and jokes about being completely overprotective.  I just kept thinking, "it's not personal...it's the job at hand and there's no way 'round it.".  At this point, between Nick's determination and positive thinking, my obsessive behavior to help save "my knight" right back,  and the answer to hundreds (if not thousands) of prayers from all of you, I believe Nick is a survivor.  I know that he doesn't want to consider himself "out of the woods" until we're closer to Day 90-100, but today when Dr. Perez looked Nick right in the eyes and said, "You've been blessed", I felt those words in my heart.  My eyes started to water with grateful tears, but a smile quickly took their place and I thought to myself..."yes".

3 comments:

  1. This is such wonderful news! Nick looked so good when he came out to talk to Taylor! He was so excited that Greg had been coaching her in basketball, and if she lived here full time, I know Nick would be out teaching her some tricks! Keep moving forward! We love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You've been blessed" brought tears to my eyes as well. Your courage and the courage displayed by Nick is remarkable. My prayers have always been with you. Please tell Nick I think of him often while I'm Minsk,Belarus. Nick knows I'm here. He told me to be safe before I left. I can't wait to exchange stories with Nick when I return at the end of May. Your reports are amazing. I look forward them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My surgeon's advice was that the best predictor of a positive outcome is a positive outlook. I always knew I was going to survive and lived my life accordingly. More than five years later, I'm still going strong. Way to go, Nick!! You're not out of the woods yet but your path out and into the rest of the world is getting shorter each day.

    ReplyDelete