Saturday, March 4, 2017

Weekend Pass

We received the results of the bone marrow biopsy.  Nick is almost 100% donor - in blood and marrow!  Doctor was very happy with the results as well as Nick's report, "other than feeling a little weak and minimal remaining side effects, I'm feeling pretty good!"  Doctor Perez finally gave Nick the "grade" he was looking for and printed out an awesome graph for the blog to show his progress/trends.
In addition to the A+++ Dr. Perez noted on the graph, she also gave us a "weekend pass" to go home.  Needless to say, that news was music to our ears!  She will decide Monday if we can be at home for good.  Anyway, we're home now (thank you God), but it definitely took some time to get this place up to par.  I've spent a lot of time cleaning and disinfecting everything!  I've also continued to prepare almost every meal at home because of Nick's Immunosuppressive Diet.  Over the last month, I've realized that there's comfort in cooking myself vs. going out.  It's critical that all safe handling and food storage rules are being strictly followed.  Lord knows, the last thing we want to do is to end up back in the hospital due to infection and it wouldn't take much to affect Nick in his current state.  This weekend, he seems to be enjoying just having access to his chair, his bed, his shower, and probably a little extra space between him and his caregiver!  He's starting to walk more and use the stationary bike that our sweet neighbors, Kathy & Greg gave us.  Nick is anxious to get on his "real" bike, but that will take doctor (and wife!) approval.  I'm keeping pretty close tabs on him, but if he "eyes" that bike one more time, I'll be forced to hide it at an undisclosed location.  For now, the stationary bike is helping him regain some energy and strength and there's no chance of taking a "spill".  THAT's what I'm talk'in about!  Here's the latest pic of MyKnight.  He's looking great and feeling stronger every day.  He's not quite "out of the woods" yet, but we will stay diligent in our hand washing, avoiding crowds, and safe food handling until Nick's immune system returns to normal.  For now, we feel truly blessed.

3 comments:

  1. Everyday, in Minsk, Belarus, I check to see if you posted another very descriptive and enlightening report on Nick's progress. Today's news is most encouraging. Although I have never met you, I feel I have. Nick was a super student in our EMBA program and has become a good friend. To follow his progress is something I truly appreciate. Thank you.

    PS: Please say hello to Tony. I miss my discussions with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, thank you Renée for the wonderful update...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, Coach! (that is you Rene). Nick, so glad to hear about your progress.

    ReplyDelete