Monday, January 23, 2017

Day 2 & 3

All is well on Day 2 and 3.  Nick has been dealing with stomach issues from chemo which has made it difficult to sleep.  He does try to nap whenever possible to make up for the loss.  Eating is tricky as the hospital food certainly isn't Little Greek (at least not until Nick gets his hands on them).  I must say that I do enjoy hearing him order his meal, politely adding comments like, "Could you add a little butter?" or "...maybe grill the bread first?" or "Do you have anything that will give it a little more flavor?" Transplant or no transplant...restaurant is still in his blood!
"Counts" are slowly dropping (which is expected).  The WBC is what we're watching (see board below).  Once those "bottom out" later this week and into next week, unfortunately Nick will be feeling much worse than he does right now.  He will be very weak and completely susceptible to any type of cold/virus/flu..  It will become much more difficult for him to eat, drink, and walk.  We will all be watching him closely to catch any sign of trouble from his weakened immune system to try and control it quickly.
Today - Day 3, Jon and Brittany (our sweet daughter-in-law) came to visit Nick.  It was great seeing them join Nick on his daily walking "laps" on the BMT floor.  Their visit absolutely made his day!



4 comments:

  1. Nick and Rene, we are praying daily for healing, recovery, and rest for you both. I've been praying through some Psalms too, trying to find some comforting words for you. This is one of my favorites. "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

    You are in our thoughts, and we love following along on your blog. With love from the Bobers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick - thinking of you and wishing you the best possible treatment. It is okay not to be the guy who is always "on" but I'm not surprised to find out that you are brightening the day of the folks working in the unit. Best wishes for the donor, too, who stepped up to help a stranger. Lorie Briggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee thank you so much for these updates! If not for them I think I would being going mad not knowing what is going on with my dear friend, "brother from another mother" and sensei Nick. I hope Nick and you both know how much he is loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell Nick I saw Ava ride in the Eventing show this past weekend at Poplar Place Farm. I just realized she is your daughter. She is a terrific rider. My daughter Ruth Anne competed in the same eventing group. Next time I will make sure to meet her and hopefully see you and your wife. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete