Monday, January 16, 2017

Our Greatest Gifts

My apologies for the delay in writing today.  Needless to say, it was a long night.  Nick's chemo ran from 9pm until about 2am when he was finally settled and allowed to sleep.  It was about that same time that I began to seriously consider asking if they could share any "sleep aids" with the caregiver on the mini sofa bed.  Because that didn't seem to be an appropriate question and I simply couldn't find a way to conform my 5'-9" frame on the bed provided, I quietly slipped out of the room, letting Nick sleep while I drove home in a desperate attempt to find a minute or two of real "shut eye".  I returned to the room by 9am this morning to find Nick somewhat tired, but in typically good spirits..  We waited for the Doctor's "rounds" where they confirmed that Nick is progressing well and all systems are a "go".
By lunchtime, our son Jon arrived with a tray full of Little Greek food for the staff.  Yes, he is his father's son!  His presence lifted Nick's spirits - as always!  Jon also gave me a much needed break to go back home for a nap. As the two spent a few hours together, Nick reported that the hospital staff is verifying "the existing record", but he did complete four times the required walking "laps" in the BMT unit with Jon by his side.
Our daughter, Lauren has been keeping close contact to Nick by phone every day from college.  He is so incredibly proud of her!  I know it must be difficult for her being away, but I hope her talks with him lift her spirits as much as they do Nick's!
I often wonder if I will ever be able to adequately express how much it means to me (as a parent) when my children do something so heartfelt - just as the way they are now.  It absolutely makes my heart melt and yet I find that a thank you or a hug just doesn't seem to be enough.  If I may take a moment here:  Jon and Lauren, please know that Dad and I consider you to be our greatest gifts in this life.  From the moment you were born, we simply couldn't imagine a single day without you. We know that your presence is a blessing from God, but now that we are all faced with this difficult challenge, it absolutely means the world to us that you care so much, are so engaged, and set your own lives aside to act with such love.  I know it will never be enough, but "thank you" sweet children, thank you.
We're now approaching the 9pm hour, so the second night of chemo has just begun.  Nick seems well and quite calm (probably due to the lack of sleep).  His nurse tonight is a familiar face from our first Moffitt "experience", so Nick seems confident that the night will go well.  Thank you all for your continued prayers.  We can feel them from our end.  Please, never cease.


2 comments:

  1. Nick, want you to know that Susan and I are following this blog and let you know our thoughts and prayers are with you and family. Not sure there is anything else we can do - but please let us know if you need something.
    Reading Rene's comments about how strong you stand and the kindness you show defines the great person you are. All of this shall pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,our family is praying every day for you. We pray the side effects are minimal and that you are resting well. We are inspired by your positive outlook and how you bless those around you. Rene, we are also thinking of you and the kids as you care for him. It must be exhausting, may you feel God's presence with you through the entire process and may His peace give you comfort. If there is anything we can do to help, we are here!
    With love from the Bober family

    ReplyDelete